Tuesday, February 19, 2008

This Problem of mine...

Getting to school is hard enough with all of the traffic, but what makes it even harder when I finally do arrive to this home away from home, is finding a parking spot. Have you ever seen that commercial where the cars are playing "musical chairs" but with parking spots? And the last two cars zoom around and only one gets the spot. This is how I feel every single day! Anyone that goes to a university, or anywhere with horrible parking for that matter, probably can understand the frustration that is mine. It's rediculous. In the picture provided, I indicate where I normally park when I arrive to prison, I mean, school. Most of the time I can find a parking spot within the circle, if I'm lucky. I must tell you it takes great skill. I will share with you the skill that is required in order for one to get a parking spot within this zone. The following must take place:
1. One must arrive at least 15 minutes early to school. A must!
2. It is key to position you and your car at the end of a row. This ensures that one can see the entire row and every single car in the row. Be aware of your surroundings. There are other drivers out there that want a spot too. This is a competition.
3. One must have eagle eyes. These are to watch for the swarm of students that will scurry to their vehicles at 10, 20, 30 and 50 minutes after the hour. These are the times that most classes are let out. Carfully planning to arrive in the parking lot at these times will help you find a parking spot because these people are leaving, freeing up precious parking space.
4. As you sit in your vehicle at the end of the row, watch carfully for a person digging in their pocket, bag, or purse. This is an indicator that they are getting out their keys! You now have your target.
5. Immediately begin following this person...slowing creeping behind them. This is a signal to all of the other irritated parking-spot-finders that you claim this person.
6. Once you have identified the vehicle that this person is walking towards and at the first sign of them unlocking the car door, IMMEDIATELY turn on your blinker! Claim your spot! THAT IS YOUR SPOT! You cannot take a chance of someone claiming that spot for themselves!!
7. Pull into parking space. Have a moment of silence. You did it!

These Rules can help anyone find a parking spot. It will not guarentee a spot, but it sure will raise the odds. So, the next time you are playing "musical chairs" in a parking lot...use these tactics.

2 comments:

Mandy Sue said...

You have too much time on your hands.... :)

Christopher said...

hahahahaha. This is awesome. Karim and I go through this every morning at BYU, and follow the exact same rules/procedure to secure a parking spot.